It’s nearly the end of June and here in Zone 7, we’re just beginning to harvest seed from snow peas and lettuce. Would you like to start saving your own seed? It’s easy! Here are a few great places to start…Check out this nifty PDF – Six Tips for Saving Seed – from our friends over at Seed Matters. It’s a helpful first start. Show Me Oz also has lots of great articles on seed saving, including:
- Saving Seed: Open Pollinated vs Hybrid
- Seeds of Significance – OP Seed Sources
- Winter Seed Saving: Pumpkins and Squash
- Seed Saving Time: Peppers
- Seed Saving Time: Spinach
- Seed Saving: Beans & Peas
- For more articles on saving seed, just type “seed” into the search box!
Save money, become more self-sufficient and avoid GMO’s by saving seeds! This excellent resource for beginning and hobby seed savers takes you step-by-step through every aspect of saving your own seed in plain English.
Jill Henderson is an artist, author, and the editor of Show Me Oz . Her books, The Healing Power of Kitchen Herbs, The Garden Seed Saving Guide and A Journey of Seasons can be found in the Show Me Oz Bookstore. Jill is a contributing author for Acres USA and Llewellyn’s Herbal Almanac and her work has appeared in The Permaculture Activist and The Essential Herbal.