The Ozarks are blessed with an abundance of wild food, including the oh-so-delectable black walnut. Each fall, the huge green fruits come crashing down into parks, yards, and a multitude of public spaces, making them easy game for any wild or urban forager. Indeed, why pay $5 for a 4 ounce bag of nutmeats when you’ve got black walnut trees around? That’s just nuts! The problem most people face isn’t acquiring enough nuts to make it worth their while, it’s the cleaning, cracking and picking that really gets them. So, if you’ve never done it before because you’ve heard how hard they are to deal with, I hope this post will make the cleaning, cracking and picking of black walnuts just a little bit easier.
Become A Fan
- Moon Shine: Herbs of the Night (part 3)
- Moon Shine: Herbs of the Night (part 2)
- Moon Shine: Herbs of the Night
- Meat of the Matter – Peace Valley Poultry Relies on Community, Innovation
- Fenugreek: The Forgotten Herb
- Eco-Alternative Farmsteading
- Bald Eagles on the Rise
- A Bygone Bee Gum
- Green in December
- The Ozarks: No Place Like Home
- Winter Seed Saving: Pumpkins and Squash
- Bamboo Goes Berserk
- Using Seed Screens to Save Better Seed
- Don’t Toss Those Mums!
- Stair Building 101–Flanking Stones
- The Truth About Cancer Ultimate LIVE Symposium
- Fall Leaves: Good for the Garden
- How to Clean and Crack Black Walnuts
- Crafting Herbal Oils & Vinegars
- Super Quick and Easy Fruit Jam and Filling
- Yellow Birch Hobby Farm: Self-Reliant Homesteading
- Shiny Beetles, Square Tomatoes and Crafty Coons
- Healthful Horseradish
- Seed Saving Time: The Float Test
- Seed Saving Time: Watermelon
- Parsley: More Than a Garnish
- Controlling Squash Bugs Organically–A Simple Solution
- Controlling Squash Bugs Organically
- Drying Herbs Fast, Easy and Free!
- Squash and Cucumbers: All Flowers and No Fruit?
The Show Me Oz Community
- Moon Shine: Herbs of the Night (part 3) showmeoz.wordpress.com/2017/03/18/moo… https://t.co/1rJfl7SwO0 4 days ago
- Moon Shine: Herbs of the Night (part 2) showmeoz.wordpress.com/2017/03/11/moo… https://t.co/XBXNDNfcLY 1 week ago
- Moon Shine: Herbs of the Night showmeoz.wordpress.com/2017/03/04/moo… via @ShowMeOz 1 week ago
- Moon Shine: Herbs of the Night showmeoz.wordpress.com/2017/03/04/moo… 2 weeks ago
- Meat of the Matter – Peace Valley Poultry Relies on Community,@Innovation showmeoz.wordpress.com/2017/02/25/mea… https://t.co/QjZNbtQGjx 3 weeks ago
Learn to Save Seed!
Wild Edibles, Nature, Homesteading & More
Get the most from your herb garden! Learn how…