The Ozarks are blessed with an abundance of wild food, including the oh-so-delectable black walnut. Each fall, the huge green fruits come crashing down into parks, yards, and a multitude of public spaces, making them easy game for any wild or urban forager. Indeed, why pay $5 for a 4 ounce bag of nutmeats when you’ve got black walnut trees around? That’s just nuts! The problem most people face isn’t acquiring enough nuts to make it worth their while, it’s the cleaning, cracking and picking that really gets them. So, if you’ve never done it before because you’ve heard how hard they are to deal with, I hope this post will make the cleaning, cracking and picking of black walnuts just a little bit easier.
Become A Fan
- How to Clean and Crack Black Walnuts
- Crafting Herbal Oils & Vinegars
- Super Quick and Easy Fruit Jam and Filling
- Yellow Birch Hobby Farm: Self-Reliant Homesteading
- Shiny Beetles, Square Tomatoes and Crafty Coons
- Healthful Horseradish
- Seed Saving Time: The Float Test
- Seed Saving Time: Watermelon
- Parsley: More Than a Garnish
- Controlling Squash Bugs Organically–A Simple Solution
- Controlling Squash Bugs Organically
- Drying Herbs Fast, Easy and Free!
- Squash and Cucumbers: All Flowers and No Fruit?
- Itching for Summer – Dealing with Chiggers!
- The Truth About Cancer
- Dandelions: Love Your Weeds!
- Seed Saving Time: Radishes
- When the Rain Crow Calls
- The Homeplace: Fragments from the Past
- Wild Walk: Heal-All (Prunella vulgaris)
- Wild Walk: Cream Wild Indigo
- Navigating Before Google Maps
- Flycatchers: The Gardener’s Friend
- Seed Saving Time: Flowers and Pollination
- A New Way to Grow Sweet Potatoes Slips
- The Terrace Project: Year Five
- Garden Time: Common Herb Diseases
- Garden Time: Watch Out for Early Garden Allies!
- Wild Walk: Wild Blueberries
- How Big Will Those ‘Maters Get?
The Show Me Oz Community
- How to Clean and Crack Black Walnuts showmeoz.wordpress.com/2016/09/30/how… https://t.co/CYO5HGIfr5 23 minutes ago
- Crafting Herbal Oils &@Vinegars showmeoz.wordpress.com/2016/09/20/cra… https://t.co/gUQ6ZwGors 1 week ago
- Super Quick and Easy Fruit Jam and Filling showmeoz.wordpress.com/2016/09/08/sup… https://t.co/xzt7FlO7q3 3 weeks ago
- Yellow Birch Hobby Farm: Self-Reliant Homesteading showmeoz.wordpress.com/2016/08/29/yel… https://t.co/FXL69qYWzM 1 month ago
- showmeoz.wordpress.com/2016/08/29/460… https://t.co/ZCm23UZlHn 1 month ago
Learn to Save Seed!
Wild Edibles, Nature, Homesteading & More
Get the most from your herb garden! Learn how…